Pet Food Delivery Services: What You Need to Know
Every pet parent wants to spend more time with their beloved cat or dog. That's why so many are embracing the convenience of pet food delivery. Fewer trips to the pet store means more time to play together with a favorite toy, walk some trails or simply curl up on the couch for snuggle time with your furry friend.
Learn about how dog/cat food delivery services work and how to go about picking the right service for your pet's needs. Then, discover a few of the most popular pet food delivery options out there.
How to Pick the Best Pet Food Delivery Service for You and Your Pet
As with all shopping quests, you want to find a retailer that offers the product you need at a price point that fits your budget. When it comes to pet foods, the first question to answer is: Do they carry the specific food that your pet needs to be healthy and happy? If they do, then consider these questions:
- What's the cost of shipping? Is there a minimum purchase amount to secure free shipping and will your order meet that threshold? If there are shipping fees, are they excessive, making the overall order too costly?
- Do you have to pay a membership fee to use the service? Is the fee worth the convenience?
- Does the company offer repeat deliveries or subscriptions on a schedule that works for you?
- Is the company reputable? Do they have good reviews online?
- Can delivery options be customized? Can you pick the delivery day and time that best align with your and your pet's schedule?
- Is the company easy to reach via live chat or a phone number if you have questions or concerns?
- What's their return policy? Do they offer a money-back guarantee if the food isn't fresh for any reason?
While evaluating your options, consider asking your fellow pet-loving friends and family members if they've tried a pet food delivery service. Ask how they chose a service and if they'd recommend it.
How a Pet Food Delivery Service Works
There are three easy steps to using a pet food delivery service:
- Set up your account: After you've chosen a service, you'll likely need to create an online account. You'll be asked for your name, contact details, delivery address and a payment method.
- Shop for your pet food: Once you're signed up, start adding goodies to your shopping cart. In addition to pet foods for your cat or dog, most services offer add-on pet products, like cat litter, toys, grooming tools and/or treats. Then, pick your delivery preferences. You'll likely be able to choose between expedited or standard shipping. You'll also select whether you want to receive the same delivery on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain your account: As you start receiving deliveries, you might discover you want to make a few changes. Perhaps you need automated orders to arrive more frequently or you want to change the flavor of your pets food you initially selected. It should be simple to make updates to your account and your ordering preferences.
If you elect to go with a subscription service make sure to monitor how much you feed your pet along with the frequency you order. Reputable pet food delivery services will allow you to change the frequency so that you don't accidentally run out too early or have too many bags or cans stockpiled.
Popular Dog/Cat Food Delivery Services
As you research pet food delivery options, you'll find that there are both big-box brick-and-mortar retailers that offer online delivery services and companies that solely sell online. Here are a few popular providers for you and your pet to sniff out:
- Chewy: This online pet food retailer not only caters to cats and dogs, but also to fish, birds, reptiles and horses. If you have a household of critters to care for, Chewy is a good delivery service to explore — especially since they offer free one-to-two day shipping on orders over $49.
- Petco: The popular hangout for pets and pet parents also offers pet food delivery services. Simply shop their website to get their products on your doorstep. If you opt for repeat deliveries, you'll get a discount, free shipping and the option to pause deliveries whenever you'd like.
- PetFlow: This online superstore for dogs and cats offers food for specific health needs, including allergy-free and prescription foods. They also stock toys and treats to round our your shopping experience. You can save 5% to 10% on purchases if you opt for recurring deliveries.
- Amazon: If you've done any online shopping, no doubt you've likely heard of Amazon, a reputable e-commerce shop that allows you to get everything your pet needs including food and treats, as well as lots of things you might need for yourself. If you sign up to be a Prime member for a monthly fee, many pet food products can also be delivered to you within a couple of days with free shipping.
- Hill's to Home: Did you know that Hill's offers delivery of your pet food, too? We work with veterinarians all across the nation to help you receive both wellness and therapeutic products. Talk to your veterinarian to see if their clinic is part of our program or encourage them to sign up!
If you're trying to save on time, it's worth delegating your usual runs to the pet store to a pet food delivery service. Thanks to automated delivery, you'll never run out of pet food and treats for your furry friend.
Angela Tague is a pet mom, writer and yogi living in the Midwest. When she's not making a mess in the kitchen or attending a yoga workshop, she's writing full-time for multiple lifestyle and technology brands. You can find her on Twitter and LinkedIn @AngelaTague.
Buy Now »
Precisely balanced nutrition with the delicious taste of savory minced ocean fish to help fuel the energy needs of cats during the prime of their life.Buy Now »
Buy Now »
Buy Now »