You want the best for your big dog. And no doubt you have special activities you both enjoy. Here are five more ways to shower your German Shepherd, Mastiff or other large breed dog with love:
- Spend time together. As pack animals, connecting with their pack leader (you) is an important source of satisfaction and reinforcement for dogs. Not even a tasty treat or favorite toy can rival the attention, belly rubs and loving care you provide.
- Feed based on feeding guides and veterinary recommendations.
- Have fun and play games. A petting session at the end of the day can mean the world to your dog. Or find activities that your large breed dog inherently likes to do. Retrievers like to get the “find” while Shepherds inherently “herd.” And since big dogs typically require more exercise than a dog with shorter legs, exercising is a great way to spend time together. The bottom line? Find out what he loves to do with you and make it part of your routine.
- Choose the right food. Do some research, talk to your veterinarian and be a smart shopper. That way, you’ll be sure to find the right nutrition specific to your dog’s needs. Precisely balanced nutrition is the foundation of a happy, healthy life. And next to your love, there’s nothing your dog needs more.
- Looking good and feeling great. Thorough, routine grooming makes your dog look good and feel even better. Your veterinarian and a qualified groomer can help you determine your particular dog’s needs. A well-groomed coat and trimmed nails can make a good dog feel great.
- Get the right gear. Essentials include a quality pet bed, leash and collar. Your veterinarian can help you figure out which leashes and collars are a good fit for your pet.
There’s no limit to the ways you can show your Labrador, Boxer, Great Dane or any other large or giant breed dog that you care. Always remember to exercise some caution when making those choices for your dog.